Sunday, October 5, 2008

Deer Food

Every year around this time the deer decide they are ready to eat anything we have to offer. Until this time they usually won't eat Marigolds, but after September they stop being picky. About 3 weeks ago we woke up to find that they had eaten every flower from this flower bed. So I came home from school and sprayed the bed with our favorite but really smelly deer repellent. Then I have sprayed it every week since. Gradually the flowers have re-bloomed and they are looking better than I ever remember them looking this late in the year.

So today I decided to take some pictures. And while I was taking pictures I took some of our vegetable garden. Last year A.N. built this square foot garden area and put a fence around it. It looks really good, but we have too short of a season and we have not had a lot of vegetables. Now we have lots of zucchini but it will only grow 4 or 5 inches long and they are about as big around as my finger. In August we got 5 or 6 large zucchinis but that was before the days got shorter. We have only had a few tomatoes ripen even though the plants are full of tomatoes. I am waiting until I hear there will be a freeze and then I will pick them and let them ripen inside. We have had quite a few carrots which have been fun for the grandchildren to pick.
Did you notice who was watching me take pictures. I didn't notice at first. The deer watching me looked like it was a young one maybe born this year. After all the other deer left she (or he) just stood there watching me. And notice they are eating the grass not the flowers. Thank heavens for deer repellent.


1 comment:

Jen Bay said...

I'm so glad you saved your flowers!